Sunday, March 1, 2020

Farmer Giles of Ham

Rereading Farmer Giles of Ham after listening to it from a Cd in my elementary school days was an experience. Especially since I now severely relate to Giles. I too would not want anything to do with a giant, much less an actual murderous dragon if I had been abruptly woken up and otherwise minding my own business. Though having a talking dog would be interesting I will admit. but this story is very much a hero journey I can relate too, especially given it starts with getting drug out of bed, though that seems to be a constant especially given the legend of Zelda game series. 
Another thing that was interesting was how the citizens handled the king and his knights incompetence. Sure the king gave Giles Tailbiter, but that was just because it was something hanging around his armory that no one was using. It was a barely there acknowledgment fo the farmers achievements, which as the reader I understand and kinda agreed with, but for the actual people I feel they thought it was a bigger thing than it was. And when the dragon came and they still trusted the knights to protect them and all the knights did was make excuses. From them doing so would insult the chief to they were on holiday and it would be cheating if the best went off to kill a dragon while the lesser stayed behind and partied.
It really makes you think and im not surprised that at the end Giles ended up becoming king, cause even if he resisted at first he still stood up and solved the problem over the knights and king who just wanted to get rich quick. Hmmm you know its kinda reminding me of some aspects of our society today…. I wonder why……. 

No comments:

Post a Comment