Sunday, February 23, 2020

Asian Horror


Typically I hate horror films and stories that involve Ghosts, demons, and poltergeists. Slashers, giant monsters and environmental destruction I can handle with ease, as the Anaconda series is one of my favorite in this genre. And that’s typically because I can’t handle the malevolent antagonist being invisible/ not stoppable by normal means. But I didn’t get that with Pulse. Yes I felt stressed out by scenes and scared but not to the point where I started panicking. Partially I feel like it was due to the ghost not being as overtly malevolent. I chalk it up to the difference between western and eastern media. The ghost were their but they weren’t actively going after people to harm them like they typically are in western media. They’re more stagnant in a way, typically in one specific place and not interfering unless they are disturbed or its them reacting. It lead to a less threatening situation, but still scary cause once the ghost were triggered they were a threat, but not in a you cant escape way. It’s the same feeling I got from watching the Yukioni movie. The threat was there but it wasn’t in your face, you are going to die immediately. It was simply an overarching threat that wasn’t taking up the entire story so you could get more narrative in the story without it seeming forced and it allows for better stories in my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. I feel you on your free for horror... Tho to be honest I think asian horror is fair more suspenseful, I really don't like asian horrors... it messes me up for days

    ReplyDelete